Thursday, November 21, 2013

Shadow box ornaments

I wanted to share with you an easy shadow box ornament that you can make. Tis' the season for ornament exchanges, and I thought it would be nice to have one that is handcrafted. This one is really easy to make, and took less than 30 mins.
What you will need:
A shadow box ornament. I found mine at Michaels
Some paper for the background
A bottle brush tree, you can see my previous post about how to bleach and dye them here.
Paint, to paint the shadow box, and a paint brush.
Glitter
Some type of Holiday clip art
Tinsel for the outer edge of the box. This is optional
A glue gun and scissors
I also found these mini trees and the mini wreaths at Michaels.
The first thing that I did was paint the shadow box a minty bright green.
While it was drying I cut out the circle to go in the back of the box. I used the template that the box came with as my guide.
Once the shadow box was dried, I glued my scrapbook paper to the back of it. I used my glue gun for this.
Next I glittered my bottle brush tree. I just dabbed Elmer's glue on it, then sprinkled glitter on it over a plate.
I then glued the tinsel around the perimeter of the shadow box, and glued the banner "Merry Christmas" to the top. The last step was to glue the tree in the center. You could put whatever your creative mind comes up with! I would love to find some vintage reindeer and put one in the center. Still on the hunt for some small enough :) 
If you are going to make these for an ornament exchange, I think it would be nice to write your name and the date on the back, for a personal touch. I also think these would be fun to make with the kids over the holiday break.
Hoping to post some more Christmas DIY's, so be sure to check back.
XO~Gretchen



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by.