Thursday, August 15, 2013

Back to School Mantel

BACK TO SCHOOL
It's back to school time at our house. All my boys start back next week. I can't believe summer break is nearing an end. :( I really enjoy having my boys home for the summer. We have enjoyed lots of family time together. Since it's the start of a new school year I decided to create a mantel to celebrate my boys and encourage them to have a wonderful school year. I created this design using some things I had, and a few things that I purchased.
First I created the banner using my cutting machine. I then found this adorable ruler ribbon for $.99 at Hobby Lobby. You get six feet on the roll, which is a great deal. I picked up the tiny clips a while back, and think they worked out perfect to hold the cards. 
Close up of the details. I love the polka dot paper. I found this paper at Michaels Craft Store.

I found the writing tab slips from Michaels, they were 50% off and ended up being $.50 They came in a pack. I wrote each of my boys names on them for a personal touch.

I made this large "B" out of a cardboard B that I found at Joann Crafts. I covered it with some material that I had, and then outlined the letter with twine.
The large globe is a vintage find, I love it! I found this other metal globe at Target. I stacked the smaller globe on vintage books that I've had for a while.
This is an old frame that I painted aqua, shocking I know ;). I made these little banners to hang on it. I used some apple print scrapbook paper for the triangle banner. The other one is made out of alphabet stickers I found for cheap at Michaels Craft Store. I also found the grade stickers there. Those are the grades that my boys will be in this year. Just another way to add a personal touch. 


I found these addition cards in the dollar section at Target. I had these letter stickers and used them to spell out A,B,C. I also used this vintage frame that I painted aqua.
I am not a chalkboard artist by any means, but this is the special message I wanted to share with my boys. I hope you feel inspired to create a back to school mantel. Best wishes for a wonderful school year, and if you are a teacher then thank you in advance for all your hard work and dedication! 
XO~Gretchen



5 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! Great job!

    Liz
    www.craftemagee.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Also I'm super impressed that you had the time and energy to put all this together during the back to school rush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretchen, this is super wonderful! You had such a sweet and great idea!ahahaha... were they happy in the end? ( mine would never celebrate the back to school time!, but mine are teenagers, I cna understand!!)..
    well i wish you and your kids a wonderful time, a beautiful new school year!

    A big hug,
    Ciao
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, They did enjoy it. We had a nice back to school dinner to celebrate. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by.