Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Coffee Filter Halloween Wreath

Welcome, and I can't believe that it is officially Fall. The leaves are slowly starting to change in color, and there are pumpkins for sale everywhere. Time to start decorating your nest for the season. Today's project is a DIY wreath made out of coffee filters. I would only recommend putting this wreath on a front door that has a covered porch area over it. This wreath would also be lovely indoors too! You can even hang it from an open frame.
Here are the supplies that you will need for this project:
Coffee filters  I actually bought mine in bulk at Costco :)
Vintage book pages
Plastic spiders
Wire wreath
Glue gun
Glitter
Scrapbook paper
Twine
Washi tape
Circle punch
Scissors
The first step is to glue the coffee filters along the wire wreath.
I just crinkle the filters and then glue them to the wire using my glue gun. You eventually get a look like this...

Once I finished the layering of the coffee filters, I punched out the scalloped circles using my circle punch. I used vintage book paper, but you could also use scrapbook paper.
I then added some Miss Mustard Seed glass glitter. I recently purchased the glass glitter from Vintage Style and Designs. If you have never used glass glitter before, then you are missing out. It is extra sparkly, and makes any project extra special!
You simply glue around the edges, and then sprinkle the glitter. I always sprinkle my glitter over an extra piece of paper, that way I can just pour the extra glitter that doesn't stick back into the container. Waste not, want not.
Once you have glittered the edges, you can glue the spider to the paper, and then glue the paper to your wreath.
Next I created the triangle banner. I simply cut triangle shapes out of scrapbook paper and then glued them to twine. I attached them to the back of the wreath by tying them to the wire on the back.
Now time to decide what you want your wreath to say! I chose BOO, because I loved the design from my Silhouette Cameo. You can find the design here. Cutting something out by hand is another option, or looking for Halloween chipboard and clip art would work as well. I accented the cut out with some wahsi tape.
The final step was just adding some ribbon on the back so that I could hang it, and there you have it!



So, it's a start to getting our front porch transitioned to fall. I'll be adding some pumpkins and other spooky things the closer we get to Halloween. Hope you feel inspired to make this wreath. I think it will be a great addition to your nest this Fall.
Until next time....
XO~Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by.