Sunday, August 10, 2014

DIY Storage Jars


I can't believe that it is already that time of year again, but back to school time is here. Ready or not, here they go! Time for new school supplies, and getting organized for the new school year. Today I have an easy DIY project for you, all you need is a few supplies to be able to make these easy storage mason jars. Here is the list of items.
1. Mason jars, I prefer the clear ones.
2. Paint and brushes
3. Scrapbook paper, as an option
4. Glue gun
5. Double sided tape
6. Plastic animals, as an option. These can be found at a craft supply store.
7. Yarn, and a pom pom maker. Found mine at Michaels Craft Store
8. Scissors and pencil
9. Scrabble letters, as an option. I found these at a Joann craft store.
First you need to decide what you want your topper to look like. I gave three different options. You can paint the top any color of your choice. I made mine to go in my studio space, so I chose to paint one, aqua, and one pink. I just used acrylic paint, and it took several coats of paint. I allowed the paint to dry between each coat. You could also spray paint the tops. I also painted the plastic animal in a contrasting color with the acrylic paint.


Another option is to cover the flat part of the top with scrapbook paper. This is very easy to do. You just select your favorite scrapbook paper. Then trace the circle, and cut it out. I used double sided tape to secure the paper on. Once finished, I then glued one of the scrabble letters to the top. This is a great way to personalize the jar.



The last option for a topper is making a cute little yarn pom pom. This is a fun option, and you can customize it with some fun colors. I found my pom pom maker at Michaels Craft Store. I use it for all different kinds of craft projects. It comes in really handy if you are making a pom pom garland. You simply make the pom pom, and then glue it to your top.
There you have it. Three different options for toppers for your storage jars. These are really easy to create, and are a great option to have to help get you organized for back to school. I will be making more of these and putting extra school supplies in them. I like having extra glue sticks, scissors, pencils, and crayons around. I also think you could create these jars and give them as teacher's gifts. You could fill it with extra desk supplies, or maybe even a gift card and treats. You can find an easy video tutorial over on the WLKY TV's Entertainment page. I will be sharing easy crafting tutorials on their website from time to time, and I am so grateful for this opportunity.

Wishing you a great start to the school year. Hope you feel inspired to get creative and organized. Thanks for stopping by. Until next time,
XO~Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by.